Chlorine Dioxide: What It Is and Why We Recommend It

If you’ve browsed our new site, you know that we strongly recommend the use of chlorine dioxide (ClO₂) as a disinfectant in a wide variety of systems, especially small cooling systems. We thought we would explain exactly why that is right here in our blog, giving you the information you need to make the best decision for your system.

What Is Chlorine Dioxide?

Chlorine dioxide is a chemical compound with strong disinfecting and oxidizing power. In small doses it is a popular tool for water treatment; its use as a disinfectant dates back to New York in 1944. In the world of industrial water treatment it serves as a biocide, preventing bacteria such as legionella from growing in a water treatment system.

Why Chlorine Dioxide?

First and foremost, chlorine dioxide is the most effective treatment for a contaminated system; it’s exactly the product you want in your setup if something goes wrong. By contrast, another alternative— ozone —is minimally more effective in a clean system, but significantly less effective in a contaminated one, making ClO₂ the better choice of the two.

Chlorine dioxide is effective at very small concentrations, so if your water system includes the use of water that will be used in a consumable product, there will be little or no noticeable taste or impact on the consumer. This may also help keep your maintenance costs down!

Other oxidants such as chlorine are not able to control biofilms, pockets of bacteria that form a sort of “slime” layer on both solid and liquid surfaces. Chlorine dioxide is effective at controlling the growth of such biofilms.

Another downside to the use of chlorine is that it can corrode other chemicals in your treatment system, while chlorine dioxide is considerably less corrosive.

If you’re interested in learning more about our chlorine dioxide consulting services, click here!